RP339 From Seljlandsfoss with Love
Dear John,
I know that I already wrote you about my trip to Reykjavik yesterday, and I don't want to be irritating, but I need to tell someone about the most beautiful thing I' ve ever seen.
It's called Seljlandsfoss, but don't ask me how to pronounce it. It's a waterfall located about 150 km from Reykjavik on the south coast of Iceland. The falls are a truly awesome sight. I couldn't take my eyes off them for a full two hours. I was so fascinated that I didn't hear the bus driver screaming his head off at me from the parking lot. Apparently, I made the whole tour wait an extra half hour! It's not the magnitude of Seljlandsfoss that makes it so impressive. Though the falls are 60 meters tall, which is not bad considering the Niagara Falls measure in at 51 meters, the Seljlandsfoss falls are not very wide at all.
Picture yourself standing under a gray sky that goes on forever. Rising up to meet the grayness is a rolling landscape of lush green. It's unlike anything you've seen before because there isn't a tree in sight. Even the sensation under your shoes is foreign to you. That's not grass or dirt that you' re standing on— it's moss. In front of you stands a massive stone cliff. It makes you feel uncomfortable, like you' re looking at the earth's exposed skeleton, and it's something you' re not supposed to see. Yet beautiful water flows over the top in a never-ending stream. As the water descends, it's transformed into a fine mist by the wind you feel blowing through your hair. For a split second, you close your eyes and become the waterfall.
That's pretty profound, don't you think? It looks like I've become a bit poetic after staring at a waterfall for two hours. Anyway, it's also possible to walk on a little mountain path that goes behind Seljlandsfoss. It's rare that we get the opportunity to see a waterfall from two different sides.
I know that you' re planning on coming to Iceland next year. Make sure that you add Seljlandsfoss to your plans. It is truly one of the most beautiful things in the world
没有评论:
发表评论